12 April 2009

E's Extraordinarily Eloquent Extravangza: Pure Luxe cosmetics

Sado: Today we're going to do something a little different.
As mentioned before, we will, from this day on, bring you weekly installments of guest blogs by my trusted sidekick E., who, as you will recall, is a big part of why I am who I am today - especially where skincare and cosmetics are concerned.

So without further ado, I present to you the very first part of "E's Extraordinarily Eloquent Extravanga"!

Dear readers,
I have a shameful confession to make. No matter how hard I will try to deny it in the unlikely case you try to personally confront me with it, I seem to have some serious addictions.
(Well, not serious. Let’s call ‘em “strange yet harmless”. Sounds MUCH better, doesn’t it?)
Breathing is one of them. I absolutely adore breathing. Yup.
Making cookies, that’s another one. Show me a recipe, and I go nuts.
And, superficial as it may seem, make up is also one of them. Especially eye shadow. Give me some fancy colours, and I can entertain myself for hours.

Don’t get me wrong. It’s not that I refuse to go outside without anything on. I’ve been known to venture into the wild, ruthless jungle that is my city of residence with naked eyelids on several occasions. Shopping, doing laundry, and even (*gasp*) when going to classes. But that doesn’t mean I like it. I always have the feeling something’s missing. You know, the feeling you get when you hurry outside, and halfway through you realize you’re still wearing your slippers/pyjamas/nothing at all? That kind of feeling.

Now. As an undercover eye shadow addict, I’m constantly on the lookout for possibly awesome products and brands. I have a bad habit of standing in shops, staring at make up stands. Which, of course, makes me look silly. Because even though I’m analyzing every single colour in my mind (and therefore being VERY mentally active), it just looks as if I’m... well... staring. And slightly brain dead. That’s why I love shopping for make-up online. No one around to give you strange looks while you keep looking back and forth, a different colour in each hand, desperately trying to decide which one will look best on you. No people going “Ooh, she’s buying useless stuff! There’s an economic crisis going on, you know!” No social stigma! w00t!

My favourite online make up store EVER is Pure Luxe Cosmetics. Christina Kocher, the founder of Pure Luxe, sells mineral make up. Not just eye shadow, but also things like foundation, concealer, blush, lipgloss, brushes, and even some skin care products. Although the greater part of my Pure Luxe collection consists of the eye colours, I also have some foundation, concealer, and lining gel. And I LOVE them. Especially the concealer (“What Red?”), which I use daily to hide my ridiculously red cheeks.

But enough of that, on to the shadows… Pure Luxe has an amazing range of highly pigmented colours. And when I say ‘amazing’, I really do mean amazing. The first time I visited the site, I discovered colours I didn’t even know existed. Fun? Yes and no. Mostly yes, though.
Yes, there are lots of different colours to choose from, ranging from natural to extremely bright and colourful, and even colours that are all shimmer, react to blacklight, and so on. If you don’t find anything to your liking here, it’s your own damn fault.
And no. 200+ colours to choose from can be VERY overwhelming, especially for those of you who aren’t quite sure which colours will look good and which ones won’t. Chances are you won’t even know where to start looking. But don’t let that scare you, oh no… There’s a solution to your problem!

Pure Luxe sells samples. Wonderful samples, I might add. Magical, even.
…ok, not magical. But awesome nonetheless.
They’re as cheap as 1$ per jar (2$ for special colours, but more on those next week), and VERY generous. When you order a sample, you get 1/8 teaspoon. Now, I know, that doesn’t sound like much. But for shadows, it is. Apparently. I’ve had my samples for over 6 months now, and I haven’t finished a single one yet. I’m quite positive you have enough for at least 20 applications; maybe even more. And if you don’t like the colour (which is always a risk you have to be willing to take when buying online), at least you’re not stuck with a huge, expensive jar. Instead, you’re stuck with an adorable little jar you can give away, as a surprise gift to friends. Or you can just chuck ‘em out without guilt. I’d suggest the first option, though.

Now, I WAS going to show you some swatches, as a sneek peek for next week’s article (which, I might as well spoil the surprise now, will be detailed swatches and reviews of some of my favourite PL colours, just so you can get a better idea). Unfortunately, the lighting here sucks, so all I could manage to take pictures of was either an overly lit arm or a completely dark arm. So yes. I apologise. But I promise I'll more than make up for this horrible lack of photographic evidence next week.


...to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment